Lenovo + HealthDesignBy.Us Innovation Co+Lab Summer Fellowships
Deadline: March 10, 2017 at 11:59pm EST
The Lenovo + HealthDesignBy.Us Innovation Co+Lab is excited to sponsor summer fellowships for innovators interested in working on projects focused on health, design, and technology. An emphasis, but not a requirement, is on projects that use mobile technology and sensors including AR/VR.
For 2017, we are looking for student innovators with particular development and design skills to work on existing projects/ideas, as well as student innovators who have their own patient-centered project/idea. Projects using mobile sensors and AR/VR technology are encouraged, but other well-planned, patient-centered projects will be considered.
Fellowships include a $3,000 living stipend (paid in monthly $1k installments) to spend 3 months in Ann Arbor this summer. The commitment will be to work at least 24 hours per week. All projects will work in a strict Agile/Extreme Programming (XP) framework with sprints, standups, and end of sprint demos guided by a certified Agile Scrum master. If you don't know what this is, we will teach you!
In addition to the stipend, the fellowship includes:
- Daily one-on-one mentoring
- Access to AR/VR technology including the Lenovo Phab2Pro - the first Google Tango phone, Microsoft HoloLens, HTC Vive, and Oculus Rift
- Training in programming for AR/VR technologies
- Training in real world, agile software development methodologies, including the Scrum framework
- Access to mentors and experts from Lenovo, Michigan Medicine, high-tech entrepreneurs, and game development
- Centrally located collaborative workspace with unlimited coffee and popcorn
- Access to patient audience for product testing/user testing
- Membership to the maker health community on campus
- U-M students (U-M Ann Arbor, Flint and Dearborn), Washtenaw Community College students, recent graduates
- Required minimum of 24 hours of work per week in the Co+Lab space or in C.S. Mott Children's Hospital
- Interest in working on a patient-centered project AND/OR some experience in programming (Unity development in C#) to apply to existing projects
- Demonstrated passion for learning and making
- The application will be open from Monday, February 20 - March, 10, 2017
- Finalists will be notified Wednesday, March 15, 2017
- Finalist interviews will be scheduled for the week of March 20, 2017
- Final decisions will be made by Wednesday, March 29, 2017
For those not selected for summer fellowships, you are welcome to attend our AR/VR workshops and office hours throughout the summer. We plan to offer the fellowships again in the summer of 2018.
Sponsored and supported by Lenovo + HealthDesignBy.Us Innovation Co+Lab at the University of Michigan School of Information, UMSI Ehrenberg Entrepreneurship Program, GameStart, Michigan Medicine, and C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.
Lenovo + HealthDesignBy.Us Innovation Co+Lab Introduces Ongoing Student AR/VR Initiative
Upcoming Events for U-M Students:
Show, Tell & Try AR/VR Workshop
Get your hands on and experiment with the latest AR/VR technologies, including the Lenovo Phab2Pro, HTC Vive, and Oculus Rift. Learn about exciting opportunities using this technology from experts!
Friday, March 24th
1:30 - 3:30 PM
UMSI Engagement Center
777 N. University St. (above Panera)
AR Office Hours
Student teams working on Unity Augmented Reality applications are encouraged to take advantage of these sessions where they can get advice and assistance from professional game developers.
Every Thursday (beginning February 9th)
Plymouth Road Plaza, 2765 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105